Thursday, July 10, 2008

Just because it's on the internet, dosn't mean it's yours.

Copyright infringement. It's not cool. I suggest not doing it. Sometimes it may be dificult to figure out what things are copyrighted, but I suggest not taking anything. Be it pictures, videos, or audio files, don't post them as yours if you didn't make them. You may think it's okay if say you credit the band or the artist, but no matter how you put it, it's still copyright infringment. Unless you have actual permission, it's illegal. Even thought this is the internet, theft is not allowed. It's sometimes hard not to pirate the work of others. Posting a video on youtube featuring a song that you don't have permission to use is copyright infringement. Downloading a video from youtube and adding it to myspace or facebook can be copyright infringement. Posting movies or television shows is copyright infringement. Even if it's unintentional, it's still copyright infringement. Why am I talking about copyright infringement do you ask? That would be because I posted a stop motion video on my youtube account using a song copyrighted by the Universal Music Group, also known as UMG. I recieved an e-mail about it from youtube, and I immediately deleted the video. I plan on submitting the video again, but not until I find a song to use legaly. I definitly felt quite stupid for having been caught using an audio file without permission. I never even considered it theft, but I will definitly never do such a thing again. Obey the law. Don't steal somebody else's work. You could end up in court, which is probably not something you want. Just an FYI, if you change at least 80% of a company logo or a piece of artwork, then it's not copyright infringement. Ciao for now ^_^

No comments: